Sunday, January 31, 2010

Reading Challenge 2010 review


Carrie at ReadingtoKnow.com challenged her readers to read anything by L.M. Montgomery in January. I chose Anne of the Island (the first book I found in stock at my library). Even though I've always been a reader, I did not read this series as a child. I read the first few books to my daughter last year and this was a new one to me.


I enjoyed it. I had forgotten her delightful presence in her writings, the emotions and heart. One sweet passage that really spoke to me is after Anne's childhood friend, Ruby, has finally admitted she's dying, and Anne is heading home after spending the evening with her.

"The evening had changed something for her. Life held a different meaning, a deeper purpose. On the surface it would go on just the same; but the deeps had been stirred. It must not be with her as the poor butterfly Ruby. When she came to the end of one life it must not be to face the next with the shrinking terror of something wholly different -- something for which accustomed thought and ideal and aspiration had unfitted her. The little things of life, sweet and excellent in their place, must not be the things lived for; the highest must be sought and followed; the life of heaven must be begun here on earth."

Some of the book was too good to be true ... the perfect, affordable rental home, Patty's Place. Her friend Phil, looks, money, men, always partying yet top of the class. The "perfect" boyfriend, richest boy on campus. But, you know what, who cares. It was so enjoyable.

I laughed at all her funny marriage proposals, cried when she turned Gilbert's down, cried when she found out he was dying, and cried at the end, too.

Reading Anne of the Island lightened my heart this January. THANK YOU for the challenge!!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Well, that put a smile on my face!

I don't know which I'm more happy about - the fact that you laughed or the fact that you cried while reading it. Anne probably would have been glad you cried.

I agree that the situation with Ruby was very moving!

Thanks for your review and for participating!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...