Monday, March 31, 2008

Red Velvet Cake Balls

Welcome Bakerella readers!! If you like to cook, maybe you like cute aprons, too?? Feel free to check out my Flirty Apron Swap; new swap sign ups end soon!

If you also like the Cupcake Bites, check out this post.



This is the picture that caused our fun at work to begin at
www.bakerella.blogspot.com:Our co-worker, Vicki, turned 50 this weekend, so Sarah and I decided to whip up these little goodies. She made 25 dipped in white chocolate, I made 25 in pink.

Shawnee's Messy In-Progress Photos:

Mine were made from Red Velvet Cake dipped in pink Candy Melts (2 bags).

Shawnee's Easy Red Velvet Cake

    • 1 box French Vanilla cake mix
    • 1 box instant chocolate instant pudding
    • 4 eggs
    • 1 C. milk
    • 1/2 C. oil
    • 2 oz. red food coloring
PREPARATION:
Mix the above ingredients for 4 minutes on medium speed. Grease and flour 3 cakes pans. Bake at 350° for 20 - 25 minutes or until done. (I baked mine in a 9x13 equivalent for 45 minutes.)

When cool, crumble in mixer bowl and add in one can Cream Cheese Frosting. Mix well and form into balls (about 50) on Silpat-lined baking sheets. Insert lollipop sticks; freeze for four hours or more. Melt chocolate bark/candy topping according to directions, roll cake balls covering completely and push into Styrofoam form to dry. Drizzle with remaining chocolate.

More tips from the Bakerella website:
I also only melt a few pieces of chocolate bark at a time because it starts to cool and thicken. It's easier to work with when it's hot.

Try cooling completely next time. The texture, should be very moist, but I wouldn't say gooey. I'm glad they still tasted good.

I finally made these this past weekend and all I can say is YUM!! Everyone loved them! The only trouble I had was getting them to roll into balls, it was messy but in the end definitely worth it!

The cake balls can start to fall apart a little in the chocolate. It helps to put them in the fridge for several hours before dipping. Or I'll put them in the freezer if I'm in a hurry.

- first, I have the best results with chocolate bark, (Kroger brand) It comes packaged in blocks. So I will put three blocks in a bowl at a time and melt in the microwave at 30 second intervals until melted. Then I will drop one ball in at a time and spoon chocolate over the ball . Then with the spoon, I lift the ball out of the chocolate and tap the edge of the spoon against the side of the bowl. Then I will let it slide off the spoon onto the wax paper covered cookie sheet.

. If you are making the lollipops, make sure the chocolate covers the entire
ball - all the way to the base of the stick to help secure. Also, if they are too heavy, you might try rolling your balls a little smaller. And you can also try holding/shifting their weight perpendicular for a few minutes until it starts to set before you place them right-side up in the Styrofoam.

One can of ready-made cream cheese frosting is:
16 oz. / (1 lb) / 453 g or 2 cups

3 comments:

lauriec said...

You still have my address so you can send some right???

Dee Light said...

Oh my, goodness!! Red Velvet Cake Balls. I love Red Velvet Cake. How on earth do you make those lovely treats!!

YUMMMMMMMMMMMY!!!

Dee Light said...

Thanks for the recipe!! I will be making these sometime soon.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...