Sunday, March 02, 2008

Nursery Worker Treats - Recipe

I serve in the church nursery, month on/month off, coordinating the volunteer leaders in four nursery rooms. My "kids" are birth through age 2 and are so sweet, as are the great volunteers who care for them so mom and dad can pay attention in big church. I got up early this morning to make this treat and it got rave reviews. I, of course, forgot to take a picture until only a few pieces were left! This is a great sized recipe for a large group. Directions at the end for family portion.

Fruit Swirl Coffee Cake
Betty Crocker's Best of Baking 18 servings
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
1/2 cup shortening (I used 1 cup butter-flavor Crisco and no butter)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder (I ran out so used half baking soda/half cream of tartar)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
4 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 21-oz can pie filling (it didn't look like much so I used 1 can apple and 1 can peach)
Glaze (recipe to follow)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease jelly roll pan, 15.5 x 10.5 x 1 inch. (I lined my pan with a SilPat instead and spray coated the edges of the pan). Beat sugar, margarine, shortening, baking powder, vanilla, almond extract and eggs in large bowl on low, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed three minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in flour. (I used my KitchenAid for the entire process. Batter is VERY stiff.) Spread 2/3 of the batter in pan. Spread pie filling over batter. Drop remaining batter by tablespoonfuls onto pie filling.

Bake about 45 minutes. Drizzle Glaze over warm coffee cake (not hot-out-of-the-oven or it will just melt .. ask how I know.). Serve warm or let stand until cool

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons milk

Mix ingredients until smooth and of drizzling consistency.
For a smaller coffee cake, substitute 1 jar any flavor fruit preserves for the pie filling (I say use one can) and cut the remaining ingredients in half. Grease a 9x9x2-inch pan instead of the jelly roll pan, and prepare as directed.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...