Saturday, March 25, 2006

Felted Purses - Handles


I've been felting purses like crazy and have come up with my own version of handle that works nicely, ends up like the knit I-Cord. Pardon my pattern writing, as this is my first attempt.

Shawnee's Corded Handle (on both green/black purses):
I start in one corner of the bag/purse and chain 72 (or 108), slip stitch to attach on opposite of purse.
Row 1: Chain 2, slip stitch near join on purse, half-double crochet in each chain across(I prefer to work in the hump, but normal way works, too); slip stitch to beginning side of purse.
Row 2: Chain 2, slip stitch near original start, half-double crochet in each stitch across; slip stitch to purse.
Row 3: Chain 2, slip stitch to purse. (Half-double crochet in next stitch, slip stitch to Row 1 half-double crochet) repeat across; slip stitch to purse and fasten off.

This forms a triangle-shaped tube that felts up beautifully. You could also make this tube separately and then sew on, but I personally hate hand-sewing and avoid it at all costs!

Second Handle I've Created (on blue/green Jackie O Bag):
Shawnee's Twisted Handle (can use one strand of wool or two stands in contrasting colors)
I start in one corner of the bag/purse (join yarn if I've already fastened off), and chain 72 (or 108); turn
Row 1: Chain 2, half-double crochet in each chain across(I prefer to work in the hump, but normal way works, too); slip stitch to beginning side of purse; do not fasten off.
2nd Strap: Chain 72 (or 108) again; turn
2nd Row 1: Chain 2, half-double crochet in each chain across(I prefer to work in the hump, but normal way works, too); slip stitch to beginning side of purse.

Twist these two staps together, then slip stitch both straps several times to the opposite side purse and fasten off.

For a slightly different effect, I've made three longer straps, braided them, then attached to other side of bag (on small black/pink bag).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very nice! Interesting how the fuzzy stuff doesn't felt.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...